May 15, 2007

Cashew Juice

Yesterday I had juice from the fruit of the cashew tree. I didn´t even know that cashews had fruit, much less you could make juice out of them. But cashews have big fruit.

A few days ago, I had juice made out of the fruit of bayberries. I have no idea what the heck bayberries are, but the juice of the fruit is really good.

I haven´t been lacking for fruit on this trip. Mangos, papayas, strawberries, apples, oranges. My host mama has been making a lot of things for me. She fries bananas and plantains, and makes all kinds of licuados, i.e. fruit smoothies. I was worried that she would make me sick, but it turns out that she has been disinfecting the fruit.

The one thing that she´s only made for me once, which is surprising considering it is the national food, is pupusas. They are basically corn tortillas with beans and/or cheese and sometimes meat inside. They are very good. In our latest trip to the campo, I had a full meal of pupusas and a drink for about 90 cents.

Today I saw something that just boggled my mind. A small minivan, which serves my bus route, pulled up. The buses hadn´t been there in a while and there were a lot of people waiting. This mini bus pulled up and all these people rushed to get on. The bus was already full, and a guy was trying to get them on so the minbus could continue onward. It eventually left, leaning precipitously to one side, with about 5 or 6 guys hanging off on a little step outside. Evidently, there are no laws about overcrowding in this country.

Well, I´m signing off now. Hasta luego.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am having such a fun time reading about your experiences in El Salvador. Please don't stop. It brings back so many memories and also makes me laugh a bit...Thanks, and I hope you have a great time there, and learn alot.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home