May 21, 2006

I'm Trying an Idea

I'm trying a new idea that I've been working on. For the past couple of months, off and on, I've been messing around with Google Maps. I have an idea to take some literature that names place names in the U.S., or other places, and create Google Maps showing these places, with quotes from the literature and even information about the places.

This is my test. I recently, after much trial and error, mapped out Sal Paradise's (From Jack Kerouac's "On the Road") first journey using Google Maps. Now I'm inviting you to try it out and tell me what you think.

The map works very well if you use Firefox 1.5 or above, or Internet Explorer 6. It seems to be problematic with any version of Firefox lower than 1.5 or other browsers (i.e. Safari). Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the Google Maps code to make it work across all browsers.

What you should see is a map of the U.S., with a number of points plotted on it, and a line running from point to point. When you click on any point, an info window should show up that lists the place, and a quote about the place taken from the book.

Give it a try and tell me what you think. You can get to it here:

Sal Paradise's First Journey to the Coast

I would be interested in any comments you have. I think it may be fun to develop this into a website with a number of these maps on them for different books -- just to develop interest in the books and for people who might want to visit these "literary" places some day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary B. said...

This seems like a really fun idea. I haven't read the book that you are using for your trial, but speaks poorly of me, not your idea. If you could find really detailed city maps, you this would be great for books like "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," where all of the plot unfolds in a single city. I bet the research for this is going to be a whole lot of fun. Post if and when you do more, Mike! :)

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home